Sunday, January 24, 2010

We have a Slab!

We were not expecting our slab to be poured to the end of next week. Wisdom surprised us by getting in poured on Saturday. We were a little concerned as the temperature got to around 42 degrees on Saturday. The concreting team started early at around 7am - when the temperature was a nice 25 degrees. By 12pm they had they had the slab poured and were in the process of finishing - the temp was around 36 degrees at this time - but luckily it was somewhat cloudy and did not receive the full punishment of direct sunlight. They had completed by around 2:30pm - and at this time the temp hit 42 degrees and the sun came out. We were very worried that our slab would dry out way to quick - but luckily, a big southerly came through at 4:30pm along with some very light showers. The temperature has remained a fairly constant 22-27 degrees since this time which is almost ideal for the curing process. Our Site Supervisor (F) has informed us that drainage is scheduled for the 2nd February and framing is due to start on the 4th! Some pictures of the slab below.

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Piers and Pipes

Gday all. I hope everyone had an enjoyable Christmas and New Year.

Wisdom decided they would get cracking early - starting back on 14th Jan. By Friday the 15th we had our piers drilled and filled (from last count over 75 of them). They found the level had to be 80mm less - so the concretors didn't fill them quite to the top surface. Then on the Monday, the excavators came back and scraped down another 80mm. Some pictures of the Piers are below.

Then today we found that the pipes had been installed for the slab and some steel has been delivered. We are hoping that the waffle pods will be done this week for a slab pour sometime next week.

Thats all for now...hopefully the next post will be next week after the slab is completed!

Friday, January 1, 2010

Cut & Fill (after some minor complications)

Ladies and Gentlemen we have a successful site start.....after one false one.

Wisdom's contracted excavator went out on Friday 4/12 and started to cut and fill to the correct RL. However, half way through the job they figured that their was more fill to remove then they were contracted to export. This was in fact correct - as the demo team spread some soil (approx 150tonne) from the original pool overburden around the block. I am not sure why the contractor did half of the cut & fill before realising there was more soil...but they did...and then stopped work. Afer some communications with the construction manager at Wisdom - I was told the only way to move forward was if we got our own contractor back in to get the site slope back to the original RL. This is easier said then done - as their was quite a complicated slope on our block - and Wisdom contractor had already excavated and shifed hundreds of tonnes of soil. Anyway, as we wanted things to move, I organised my own excavator to reverse what Wisdom excavator had done - and then remove all the excess soil. We finally got this all completed on the 15th December and handed the site back to Wisdom.

On the 23/12 - Wisdom excavator went back out and then completed the cut and fill to the correct benching for the slab. This altered the look of the site heaps! We now have a 1.2m high 'filled' area where the front left section of the slab will go. This will ultimately be contained by the dropped edge beam. They also had to cut around 1m at the back. Some pictures:

We also got a call from 'F' at Wisdom on the 23rd - who is likely going to be our Site Supervisor. He told us that the concretor is booked in for the 13th Jan to start work on our peiring and slab. We should have a slab by the end of January.